Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Morgan goes to the zoo

While I was at work today, Morgan went on a small adventure and he has been kind enough to share his experiences with my devoted readers:

"I touched a Kangaroo in Ireland today before you even woke up. I'm not being a cocky bastahd...I'm just telling you like it was. It all went down @ Fota Wildlife Park, a Gaelic football's kick away from the city via train. 3 euro got me a round trip to this non-profit little park in..well Fota. My expectations where a little ehhhhhh for it being non-profit (give me a break! I'll explain in a second), the website and pamphlet weren't to promising, and to be quite honest a "zoo" in Ireland...what kind of interesting animals love cool, soggy weather!? Obviously the very first second I step through the gate...both feet enter my mouth. The place is THE best park/zoo/aquarium/place of animals of the wild variety...place...I've ever been to and probably will ever go to...hands down...or should I say flippers or talons or paws..hohoho.

Living in America pretty much sets you up for disappointment with all sorts of over the top commercials, advertisements, trailers, pamphlets..bombarding you with insane amounts of hype until the release date or when you purchase the item or watch the TV show. So with Fota being non-profit (Listen I know the Newport exploration center is bad ass BUT just hear me out) I didn't realy know what to think...I figured I'd take the train out and if worse came to worse I'd head back early and head off to Blarney Castle. The train actually dumps you off at the back entrance to the park which at first I thought was the front entrance reassuring my doubts. SO WRONG..in fact it was the best place to enter the park!

After entering and getting a bearing on my surroundings I soon realize this park is different then any other I've ever been to. Fota prides themselves in having a different sort of viewing policy/plan then any zoo I've ever been to. I think that's why the name is Wildlife Park because that's exactly what it is. A vast majority of the animals are free to roam around anywhere they please at anytime. The more unpredictable animals are tucked behind modest barriers yet still are so close...amazingly close and without having to view them through a fence or from a safe distance of 50 yards or more..I had a smile on my face the entire time and people were definitely thinking I was probably up to something. As soon as I step foot into the park I notice all sorts of animals from Geese to ducks to squirrels to these giant prairie dog things to Alpaca-lama-things to cappybara to kangaroos to...all sorts of little birds and critters. Little ducklings with there mums darted across the path. Large geese hissed at me if I got to close and gibbons swung all over, stared at me and whooping to the others the entire time I was there. Well alright I'm pretty much writing a novel and well the pictures speak louder then the words I'm typing. Check out the pictures...check out the videos(well as soon as B posts them) and realize the next time youre in Cork you realy realy need to go..I got there 15 minutes after it opened and it was feeding time and it was great. Ha.

Oh yeah went to Blarney...if you ever go bring a flashlight to explore Badger cave and the dungeon section...such a sick sick siiiiiiick place to go once you kiss the stone(Bring an extra battery pack or don't take a hundred picutres and video at Kota thus draining the battery thus when pulling out your camera to have the guy take your picture smoochin the stone it doesn't even turn on thus forcing you to buy a picture from them....but hey it's supporting the castle and it's a pretty slick little souvenir.) The Rock Close there...incredible. Such an amazing day. Well if you made it this far then congradulations...I'm not going back and proof reading so uh..it's probably a mess :) Leaving on a two day adventure tomorrow to Galway then an overnight on the largest Aran Island ..then to Doolin to hopefully get a glimpse of the Cliffs of Moher. Should be interesting..should be cold...should be wet....should be exciting. Back here to try to surf on Friday then finishing off the trip with an overnight in Dublin on Saturday till Beaker and I hop on a plane back across the pond to home sweet home. Need sleep...I'm out!"

Anyways, this is your regular host Brandon again, just letting you know that I'm nearly done with my stay here on the Emerald Isle, but apparently not for long as I will most likely be back sometime in late May. I may even end up in Puerto Rico in the not too distant future, but who knows. Maybe if we're lucky, Morgan will write another entry for us when he returns from his trip to Galway in a few days. Peace!

No comments: